Changing the address is a regular thing for USPS. Most of us change our address and move to a new address. If you are the one who is changing the address, then you should inform the United States Postal Service about this Change. United States Postal Service or USPS is a national mail carrier which delivers mail and packages to almost every single household in the US. So, it’s important to change address with the USPS also.
Whenever anyone changes the address, he/she has to inform all his relatives, friends, colleges, and businesses & services. Informing all these about the change of address is important so that they could send you mail to your new address. In the same way, it’s important to change the address with the national mail carrier so that it could forward all your mail and packages to your new address. Now, you have to understand that changing address with USPS and mail forwarding is two different things, but these are connected to each other. Getting confused? Let us explain it to you by giving the definition and the process of these two different services.
USPS CHANGE OF ADDRESS:
When someone changes the address, it has to change the address also with the U.S Postal Service. USPS has all your information like your name, address, etc. which it uses to send you the mail and packages. Suppose, you are living at an address, and you move to a new address without informing the USPS then all your mail items will be sent to your old address because the Postal Service doesn’t know about this change and you won’t be able to receive your valuable mail items at your new address. That’s why you should inform the Postal Service about the move so that they could update your address.
There are various ways or methods through which you can inform the USPS about your move. All the methods are given below. You can choose any of the given methods.
USPS MAIL FORWARDING:
USPS mail forwarding is a different thing. When someone wants to forward or resend a received mail to a new address, then he/she uses the mail forwarding service. There are different reasons for forwarding a mail; Someone may have moved to a new address and now wants all the mail & packages to be forwarded to the updated address, or he/she wants to forward only a single piece of mail to someone else. If you moved to a new address and had informed the USPS about the address change, then it will forward all your mail & packages to the new address for a limited time. There are few restrictions also which you will find out after reading this article till the end.
That’s the difference between mail forwarding and change of address. Now find out how you can inform the postal service about the change of address. After that, we’ll find out more information about these two services.
HOW TO CHANGE YOUR ADDRESS WITH THE USPS:
1. CHANGE ADDRESS ONLINE:
The first and the most used method to inform USPS about the address change is the online method. To submit this request online, you have to follow the steps given below:
Step 1: Visit USPS.com: – Firstly you have to visit the main site of USPS that is USPS.com.
Step 2: Select Change of Address: – After visiting the main site, select the “Change of Address” option under Track & Manage category.
You will be on the Official Change of Address page after clicking on the Change of Address option. If you don’t want to visit the USPS site, then you may also CLICK HERE to jump to the Official Change of Address page directly.
Step 3: Click on Continue after reading Privacy Act Statement: – On the Official USPS Change of Address page you will see the additional information regarding USPS address change and Privacy Act Statement. So, read the privacy act and the additional information carefully and then click on Continue.
The complete address changing process is divided into five parts: Move Info, Name & Address, Identity Check, Instant Savings, and Confirm Order.
Step 4: Complete the Move Info part: – As said before, the online USPS change address process is divided into five parts. So, complete the first part, Move Info, first.
You will be asked, “Is this move permanent or temporary?” For this, two options are available, PERMANENT and TEMPORARY.
Permanent Change of Address: Choose the PERMANENT option if you have no plans to move back to your old address. Most of the moves are permanent. If you choose this option, then your mail items will be forwarded to your new address for a certain amount of time, and it depends on the mail class. Mail classes and their forwarding time limits are available on USPS.com.
Temporary Change of Address: Choose the TEMPORARY option if you have plans to move back to your old address within six months. USPS will forward your mail items to your temporary address for a minimum of 2 weeks and a maximum of six months. If you don’t move back within first six months, then you can extend the time of mail forwarding because the total forwarding time is almost 12 months. You will need to fill an another change of address form if you move to a new address for less than six months and then move to a different address (not that address you are moving from). You need not select temporary option or forwarding end date.
After selecting from temporary and permanent, select the mail forwarding start date. That’s the date from when you want USPS to forward all your mail items to the new address.
“What time of move is this?”, It will be asked to you. There will be three options, INDIVIDUAL, FAMILY, and BUSINESS. Let us clear this for you.
Individual: You can select this option if only a single member of the family is moving.
Family: You can select this Family option only if the whole family is moving to the same address and everyone has the same last name. If someone has the same last name and staying at home, then select the “individual” option. If the family members have different last names and moving to a different address, then submit separate forms.
Business: If it’s a business move or the business is moving then select this option. If you fill a form that is marked as Individual or Family and with that, the business delivery address is included then that form will not be processed.
So, choose any of the three options and then click on Continue.
Step 5: Complete the Name & Address part: – In the second part, you will need to fill your full name, email address, complete old address, and complete new address.
Note: If moving from a military address then your email must end with “.gov” or “.mil”
After giving this information, click on Continue.
Step 6: Complete Identity Check and Instant Savings: – You will have to verify your identity using your debit or credit card. It will cost you $1.oo. After verifying your identity again click on Continue. In the Instant Savings part, you can get instant access to over $750 in valuable coupons. Choose the deal if you want and Continue.
Step 7: Confirm Your Order: – It’s the final step. You will need to confirm your order. You can also verify the information you have given anytime. Edit the information if you want to change or modify anything.
2. CHANGE ADDRESS AT POST OFFICE:
You may also choose this method where you have to visit your local post office. Choose this method if you don’t want to pay the service fee required for telephone and online conveniences. It’s free to change mailing address at the post office. Follow the steps given below to fill and submit the change of address form.
- Ask for PS Form 3575.
- Fill the required details in the form. Select any of the three options where “Change of Address for” is asked.
- Select the move type and enter your first and last name.
- In the next sections, fill out the details of your old address and new address.
- After filling the form completely, hand over it to the post office clerk or drop it into the mailbox.
3. CHANGE ADDRESS OVER THE PHONE:
You can request the form by the phone call. Call USPS using the following number: –
Contact your local post office and request the PS Form 3575 to be mailed to you. You will have to pay $1.05 as the verification fee.
4. CHANGE ADDRESS USING USPS MOBILE APP:
USPS provides you the fourth method to change the address using the USPS Mobile app. There is an app called “USPS Mobile” on Play Store and App Store through which anyone could easily change address. What you have to do is download the USPS Mobile app on your smartphone. If you are a iOS user, then download the app from App Store and if you are an Android user then download from Google Play Store. Just click on any of the two buttons according to your operating system.
Customers can do a lot more with the USPS Mobile app. They can schedule a pickup, change address, ship online, hold mail, track package, find locations, buy stamps, calculate postage, etc. There is lot more to do. Download the App today.
These are the four methods through which any USPS customer can change the address with the USPS. Pick any of the methods given above and inform the Postal Service about the change today. Now, let’s find out some more about Post Office Change of Address, USPS Forward Mail, and something regarding these two.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS CONFIRMATION:
After successfully changing your address with the U.S Postal Service, you will receive the change of address confirmation letter, mail or toolkit depending upon your way of submitting the request.
- If U.S Postal Service Change of Address request was submitted online, then you will receive a confirmation email that will contain the confirmation code.
- If you are at your new address, then you will receive coupons and offers as a Welcome Kit.
- The Postal Service will send you a confirmation letter to your new address.
- When the USPS receives your request, it mails you a Move Validation Letter (MVL) at the old/previous address just to validate the move.
Note: If you don’t receive any confirmation then USPS won’t send you any duplicate confirmation letter (except for unusual or special circumstances).
For more information, Call on 1-800-ASK-USPS.
VIEW, UPDATE OR CANCEL CHANGE OF ADDRESS ORDER:
If you want to view, update or cancel your order, then you can do so by visiting “managemymove.usps.com” page. Follow the steps:
- Visit the “managemymove.usps.com”.
- Enter you Confirmation Code.
- Enter New ZIP Code.
- Click on Submit.
You will find your confirmation code in your email inbox if you submitted the order online and if you submitted at the post office, then it will be printed in the change of address order confirmation that was sent to you at your new address. If you don’t have the confirmation number, then visit the nearest post office and ask the clerk to modify or cancel the order.
After submitting the Confirmation Code and the New ZIP Code, you may update some of the following things:
- You may add an email address to receive reminders of mail forwarding expiration dates.
- Change the USPS Forwarding start and end date (You may change the end date only if you had filed the temporary move).
- Update your contact number.
- Switch from the temporary move to permanent.
- Switch from family move to individual.
- Cancel your order.
- If you want to edit any information which is not allowed, then you have to cancel your order and file a new one.
Note: Customers can’t do more than two changes in a single day and if anyone tries then the following message will appear – “You have exceeded the amount of changes that you can make within the same day. Please try again in 48 hours.”
*You may cancel your COA order even after the exceeded limits.*
TYPES OF MAIL FORWARDING:
There are two types of mail forwarding services which are as follows:
- Regular Forward Mail: – Whether you are moving for a long time or just for few months, USPS will forward all your mail items to your new address. Read the points below to know how it works:
- Use “Regular Forward Mail” if you are moving permanently.
- If your move is temporary, then you may use this service. All USPS customers may use this service for a minimum of 15 days to a maximum of 1 year. You can extend the regular forward mail service for six more months after first six months.
- If you use this service online, you will be charged $1.oo.
- Mail sent to the new address is piece by piece.
- You will receive Welcome Kit with Coupons from the USPS partners.
- Premium Forwarding Service: – With Premium Forwarding Service, you may hold your mail, package it, and ship it to your new address. All your mail will be sent to you via Priority Mail service with one-time enrollment fee and weekly fees thereafter. USPS customers can use this service for a minimum of 2 weeks to a maximum of 1 year. Read the points below to know how it works:
- There is an enrollment fee of $19.35 retail or $17.75 if you enroll online.
- You will have to pay $19.35 for each week of service.
- Priority Mail Express items can’t be held, so these type of items will be rerouted to you immediately.
- Most of the mail are packaged every Wednesday and should arrive in 1, 2, or 3 business days via Priority Mail service.
- You will get the tracking numbers of each shipment through email notifications to your USPS account.
- Every First-Class Mail items will be sent to you separately at no extra cost.
FORWARD A SINGLE PIECE OF MAIL OR SOMEONE ELSE’S MAIL:
If you want to forward a single piece of mail or someone else’s mail, then you can do this. It’s a simple procedure. If you received mail of someone else by mistake or want to send or forward your own mail to some other address, then USPS will help you. You will need a new set of stamps to make the mail item valid for the shipment.
- If you want to reroute the mail from somewhere else to your new current address, then you will have to take help of someone else living nearby to do the legwork.
- You can change the address on the envelope to forward the mail, but you can’t change the name of the addressee. It’s illegal to change the name on the mail item.
- Cross out the address that is pre-written on the mail item and write a new address with a marker. Write the address in clear and bold letters.
- Take care of the mail item and try not to tamper with it as much as possible because the USPS may not handle the mail item if they find it misused.
- After writing the new address, the mail item is ready, and it’s the time to mail it. You may visit the post office or drop it in the mailbox.
- Within the first two weeks of the mailing, verify that the mail item has been received if you are in contact with the recipient. If it has not been received within 2 weeks, then visit the local post office and ask the status of the mail item.
USPS CHANGE OF ADDRESS FAQ:
HOW CHANGE OF ADDRESS AFFECTS HOLD MAIL:
* Hold Mail With the Active Change of Address Order:
- If Mail Holding Request is for new/current address: – Sumit a normal Hold Mail Request.
- If Mail Holding Request is for old/previous address and you are living there: – Cancel the U.S post office change of address request before submitting the hold mail request.
- If Mail Holding Request is for old/previous address and you are not living there: – You cannot submit the hold mail request for an address where you don’t live.
* Hold Mail With COA submitted later:
- If you submit a hold mail request first and then submit the change of address order, the Change of Address will override the hold mail request, and all your held mail will be forwarded.
HOW TO FILE CHANGE OF ADDRESS FOR INTERNATIONAL MOVE:
You cannot file COA order for international move online or over the phone. You have to visit the local post office for this.
- Visit the local post office
- Ask for PS Form 3575
- Fill out the form completely
- Sign the form and hand over to clerk
- You are done
That’s the procedure to file Change of address for an international move. If you have moved to new address and didn’t inform the USPS or fill the Change of Address form, then you may write a letter to U.S Postal Service about everything. You may also give all the information that is needed while filling the COA form.
Note: If filing COA request from another country to U.S. then contact foreign country’s postal administrator.
HOW TO MAKE COA PROCEDURE FASTER AND EASIER:
If you want to make the COA procedure faster and easier for you, then take care of small mistakes you do. Do the following things:
- Notify everyone who should be aware of this change. You may write a letter or email to them. A list of all your contacts is given below. Have a look at the list and decide whom to inform.
- Inform your contacts two weeks before your move.
- Use your complete address while submitting the details or information. If you fill your complete address with street number, name, city name, ZIP code, etc. then the address will be considered as full or complete.
- Include your room, apartment, or suite number (if available).
- Give all your correct details because according to U.S Postal regulations under Sections 2, 1001, 1702 and 1708 of Title 18, United States Code (U.S.C.), “Anyone intentionally submitting false or inaccurate information on a COA request form is subject to punishment by fines or imprisonment or both.”
INFORM YOUR CONTACTS ABOUT ADDRESS CHANGE:
It’s important to inform all your contacts about the change of address. You should inform all of them who use to send you mail. Those may be the government authorities, your friends, relatives, business colleges, banks, etc. You may inform them by writing a letter, or if they are close to you, then you may also call them. But, in most of the cases, the letter will work best. So, what you should do is make a list of all those who send you mail. Let’s find out the list of personal and business contacts who should be aware of your new address:
- Inform Your Family and Friends: – You must inform your family members (if living separately) and your friends about the address change by calling them or writing a mail/email. Calling and writing both are good options. If the majority of contacts have email addresses, then the email will be the better option. You can send them a mass email containing all the information about your new address and move. If you are giving any party, then inform them by writing about the move on the invitation card.
- Inform Your Professional Contacts: – Informing professional contacts is also an important task. Post Cards will be a good option. You should avoid the handwritten letters because hand written letters don’t look professional.
- Inform Newspapers and Magazines Subscriptions: – In today’s modern world, most of the magazines and newspapers have the facility of changing address online. So, you can change your address online with these subscriptions, and it will need your subscription ID number which is available on the label.
- Notify Banks or Credit Unions: – Informing the banks and the credit unions is also must. Check if you can change your address with them online or not and if you can then it’s great and if not then you will have to visit its branch. Also, make sure you want your address to be changed for the account statements and credit/debit cards.
- Change Address Using Bills: – Many of the utility and credit card bills have the blank space given on the back side especially to inform that you have moved to a new address. So, using that form, you can request the respective companies or services that “change my address asap.” And if you are moving before the next bill then you should contact the credit card company or utility company. There is more information available online on this.
- Notify Internal Revenue Service (IRS): – You should always inform IRS about your current address whenever you change your address. You can inform them by submitting a written statement. For this, you can download form no. 8822. Take a print out of the form and fill the required details along with the Social Security Number (SSN). If you don’t want to waste your time in paperwork, then write down your new or updated address while you file a tax return. All your information will be updated through this method without putting extra efforts. Changing address over the phone call is also possible.
- Inform Your Personal Doctor: – Notifying your personal dentist, physician, or any specialist is important. Sometimes you need patient ID number to update any information. So make sure you have everything required to update the address before calling or visiting personally.
Notify Social Security Administration (SSA): – Social Security Administration (SSA) is in charge of federal benefits and if you want to receive benefits continuously then notify it asap. Visit your nearest SSA office and tell them you want to update your address. To find the nearest branch or office, visit the official site of it and enter your ZIP code there. You will get the address of nearest office. This changing of address process can also be done online. For that, you will need to login to your account. But firstly, you need to determine whether you receive benefits from SSA or not and for this, make sure you receive any of the following:
- Survivors benefits
- Social Security Income
Notify Other Government Agencies: – There are also some other government agencies and services with which you should change your address. Few of them are as follows:
- Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- State Election Offices
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV)
Final Words: All the possible methods to inform the U.S Postal Service about your move are given in this article. Any customer may use the USPS moving facility. The online option is most used because it is convenient for everyone. It will cost you $1.00 and it’s okay because it will save your time. But, if you are submitting an international move then you will have to visit your local post office.
*If you have any Question or Suggestion then feel free to leave a comment below*